Wednesday 22 December 2010

iATKOS install and setup of development enviornment

Although I am VERY new at this, and I do not own a MAC myself I have been able to install iATKOS on a pretty decent new multi core AMD PC and it now appears to contain a MacOS Leopard. I might also look at a Virtualbox setup as well (Ubuntu host). I have the iPhone SDK and it looks like the entire SDK is working fine including the iPhone emulator.

[If I could figure out how to do a screen shot it would appear here]

Currently iPhone development is limited to Intel-based Macs with OS 10.5.3 and above so it's interesting to be able to learn about this development environment on a 'normal' PC. I was surprised that the iPhone SDK appears to be completely self-contained with all of the necessary tools.

The PC boots to the Mac OS X only but I have an Ubuntu live CD as well.

[If I could figure out how to do a screen shot it would appear here]

I am having one issue in that Leopard will only boot in Safe Boot mode ("-x" command). Otherwise I get the dreaded "You need to restart your computer" message. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue but I'm not proficient enough to fix this just yet.

So as to make sure I don't fall foul I also bought a copy of the MacOS Snow Leopard Install from a local Apple store as I suspect will buy a Mac at some point. You have to register as an Apple developer at http://developer.apple.com/iphone/ then download the iPhone SDK and install it.

You are now ready to start writing iPod/iPhone applications. The SDK that you downloaded includes the xcode ide, the objective-c compiler, and the iPhone simulator (plus a few additional tools).

It does appear that there is a catch though, I expect to avoid a million Hello World apps appearing and that is you cannot deploy your application unless you are 'a paid developer under at least Apple’s “standard program”,' which as of the time of this writing cost $99.00 and was valid for 1 year. So there is a $99/£60 entry level but If I like the iPod and develop any app that might be of use I will buy a MAC and do the register thing so I can 'release it' officially.
My iPOD is a 32GB iPod Touch V5 and right now plays song mp3 brilliantly. I also have it storing a few SDR IQ tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment